China – Emission Control Areas (ECA) (No.15)
We have obtained a further update from Huatai Insurance Agency & Consultant Service Ltd., our correspondent in Peking, China in connection with the subject.
Chinese Ministry of Transport issued a new regulation regarding requirements of emission control areas in Chinese territorial waters which will become effective from 1 January 2019. Members should contact their own local agents in the actual event that their vessels be in that area to obtain the latest and more accurate information from them.
- Applicable objects:
- Emission Control Areas:
- Emission Control Requirements:
- Oxysulfide and PM emission control requirements
- Oxynitride emission control requirements
This regulation applies to all the vessels which are sailing, anchoring or working in emission control areas.
Emission control areas under this regulation include coastal emission control area and inner river emission control area. Please refer to the attached maps in Pages 4 & 5.
From 01.01.2019, ocean-going vessels are required to use fuel with low sulphur content not exceeding 0.5%m/m when entering into emission control areas.
- For international navigating vessels built on/after 01.01.2000 (subject to the date of laying keel, hereinafter the same) or undergone major modification of a marine diesel engine, if the output power of a single marine diesel engine exceeds 130 kW, the vessel shall meet the Tier I oxynitride emission limits stipulated by MARPOL.
- For international navigating vessels built on/after 01.01.2011 or undergone major modification of a marine diesel engine, if the output power of a single marine diesel engine exceeds 130 kW, the vessel shall meet the Tier II oxynitride emission limits stipulated by MARPOL.
Vessels may take alternative measures, such as using clean energy/new energy, equipping with power storage device, exhaust gas cleaning system etc. to satisfy the emission control requirements. If the vessel using exhaust gas after-treatment method, the emission-monitoring device shall be installed, and the generated wastewater waste liquid shall be disposed according to relevant regulations.
For further information, please click here.
Most read News
- Turkey – Pollution Fines (2018)
- China – Emission Control Areas (ECA) (No.14)
- China – Emission Control Areas (ECA) (No.16)