Application for Insurance Contracts

Application for Membership and Entry

Application Procedures
  1. We request you to advise us risks to be covered along with type of vessel, gross tonnage, date of built, claim history and so forth.
  2. In accordance with contractual coverage, we provide you an estimated call/premium. Call/premium differs depending on1and contractual coverage. For further details, please contact us.
  3. Please fill in required items of the application and send it to us.
  4. Please pay an annual call or premium before the effective date of the insurance contract. We shall issue a certificate of entry (including a certificate of membership to be issued by the Association at the time of entry) in accordance with the contract.
Application for Membership
The Association is managed as a mutual insurance entity. Should you wish to become a Member of the Association, please complete application form and send it to us. You will then be asked to pay the full amount of your shares to the contribution funds. In the event of Member withdrawal from the Association, Member’s contribution share will be refunded after the approval of the Ordinary General Meeting of the Members of the Association.
Insurance Period
Unless otherwise agreed at the time of entry, an insurance period is one year from 21:00 JST on 20 February until the same time the following year.
Application for CLC Certificates

The owner of a ship carrying more than 2,000 tons of persistent oil in bulk as cargo is required to have on board his vessel a CLC Certificate to demonstrate that he has in place insurance to cover his liability for pollution damage under the International Convention on Civil Liability for Oil Pollution Damage (CLC).

For further details, please contact the Club’s office which attends to your vessels.

For ocean-going vessels

  • Application for Membership:This application form is to become a Member of the Japan P&I Club.

    Download PDF17KB

  • Application for Entry:This application form is for the insurance of your vessel with the Japan P&I Club.

    Download PDF16KB

  • Application for COFR (Certificate of Financial Responsibility):A COFR is required under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (OPA90) and CERCLA (the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act) for all vessels over 300 GT using any port or place in the United States or the navigable waters of the United States. This certificate is issued by the US Coast Guard–National Pollution Funds Center.
    The certificate must be kept onboard vessels while in US waters. If you wish to apply for a COFR and make a Guaranty Contract with a Guarantor such as SIGCo, MISL etc., we will issue the necessary documents called “the three Letters”, which are required to be provided to the Guarantor.
    For further details, please contact our underwriters.

  • North American Clean-up Cover:The owner/operator of a vessel which calls at a port in the USA or Canada has to enter into a contract with an OSRO (Oil Spill Response Organization) in accordance with the laws/acts of these countries, including the VRP (Vessel Response Plan). However, the Indemnity Clauses of some OSRO contracts do not comply with the guidelines of the International Group of P&I Clubs in that they make the owner/operator bear liabilities which are not covered by Group Clubs. The Clean-Up Cover indemnifies Members in respect of such liabilities.
    For further details, please contact our underwriters.

    Download PDF201KB