Amendments (05-19) to the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes (IMSBC) Code (on 1 January 2021)
IMSBC Code amend every two years. The revised IMSBC Code (5th amendment) was adopted by IMO Maritime Safety Committee 101st session (MSC101) held in June 2019 and individual schedules of each cargo were amended. IMSBC Code 5th amendment will be entered into force on or after 1 January 2021 and is mandatory for all vessels that load solid bulk cargoes. However, contracting governments can implement these amendments voluntarily from 1 January 2020.
- Exemption of certificate for Fixed Gas Fire-Extinguishing system (FFEA)
The following Group B cargoes (cargoes that possess a chemical hazard which could give rise to a dangerous situation on a vessel) were added to the cargoes that FFEA may be exempted for loading them.
- FLUE DUST, CONTAINING LEAD AND ZINC
- MATTE CONTAINING COPPER AND LEAD
- ZINC OXIDE ENRICHED FLUE DUST
For vessels which FFEA is exempted, if the above mentioned cargoes are loaded, it is necessary to rewrite the exemption certificate, in order to add these cargoes names in list of cargoes attached to the exemption certificate for FFEA.
- Cargo which need a certificate of fitness for vessel carrying dangerous goods (DG certificate) is as follows:
- METAL SULPHIDE CONCENTRATES, SELF-HEATING UN 3190
- SEED CAKES AND OTHER RESIDUES OF PROCESSED OILY VEGETABLES
- Any other changes
- The ‘Characteristics’ table, which has been replaced for each individual cargo schedule to clarify the Hazard Classification (subsidiary hazard(s) and MHB).
- The existing individual schedule for “Seed Cake (non-hazardous)” is deleted.
- Addition of a Group A cargoes (cargoes likely to liquefy) schedule for Bauxite Fines and a corresponding test procedure for determining transportable moisture limit (TML) of Bauxite cargoes.
Regarding details of the amendments and all lists of cargo newly added to the IMSBC Code, please refer to the attached MSC.1/Circ.1395/Rev.4 and MSC101/24Add.3.
For further information, please click here.